April 29, 2007

You Ask, I Answer: Flaxseed

I bought a package of linseed just yesterday, thinking I might add it to my morning cereal. I hadn't read your entry then, however, and purchased whole seeds rather than ground ones. If the shell is undigestible will I be getting any benefits from eating this other than the fibre they provide? It sounds like all the good stuff's locked away behind that tough shell.
-- Anonymous

In order to get flaxseed's nutritional benefits, we need to break its shell. If not ground, flaxseed will simply pass through our digestive system completely undetected. What a shame!

However, all is not lost. If you have a coffee grinder, you can use it to turn your whole flaxseeds into ground flaxseed meal.

Once grounded, flaxseed spoils quickly, so be sure to eat it right away (and store the rest in the refrigerator).

If this is your first time consuming this wonderful food, start off slowly. Too much too soon can make an unexperienced body feel bloated.

With that out of the way, enjoy! I'm sure you will make flaxseed a staple in your kitchen.

No comments: