April 29, 2007

You Ask, I Answer: Juicing (Part 2)

Hey, you punched holes in the healthiest thing I do: juicing!
-- Greg Mason, California


Although I wanted to take away the "eighth world wonder" mystique that often surrounds juicing, I want to clarify that there is a place for it in a healthy diet for healthy individuals.

My concern stemmed from the fact that a good number of people I have spoken with have told me they get their recommended two daily servings of fruit by juicing -- rather than eating -- them.

As I mentioned, this is worrisome because juicing doesn't provide us with fiber (which the average adult in the United States doesn't get enough of).

That being said, I don't have a problem with fresh fruit juices if they accompany high-fiber foods (i.e.: a peanut butter sandwich on whole grain bread, a salad with legumes and a variety of vegetables, air-popped popcorn, pumpkin seeds, or even two tablespoons of ground flaxseed stirred into the juice) and are not used in place of fresh fruit.

No comments: