April 25, 2007

You Ask, I Answer: Propel Fitness Water

I saw you weren’t a fan of regular Gatorade. What about the Propel line of products?
- Nydiva

At just 10 calories and 2 grams of sugar per bottle, Propel distances itself from the sugary concoction that is regular Gatorade. My only issue lies in it being billed as “fitness water”. Seriously, why? Because it contains 10% of our recommended calcium, vitamin C, and vitamin E intake and a measly 4% of our vitamin B12 suggested consumption?

I can’t help but find it ironic that a product whose second ingredient is “sucrose syrup” (a fancy name for “syrup made from sugar”) is linked to fitness.

According to the Propel website, “research shows you’ll drink more and hydrate better when your beverage is lightly flavored.” I don’t know what study they are referring to that researched this phenomenon (I get the feeling it was an informal poll). But, couldn’t Diet Cherry Coke also use that same ‘research’ to support their products?

I would much rather you get 10% of your vitamin C needs from an actual food. It’s really easy – any of these will do the trick: 2/5 of an avocado, 1 banana, 1 cup of carrots, or ½ a cup of watermelon or pineapple.

Similarly, 10% of our vitamin E recommended intake is better coming from 1 ounce of peanuts or one mango.

Again, if you find the taste of Propel satisfying, there is nothing inherently unhealthy about it, but I also would not call it a health product.

Plain water accompanied by a fruit will hydrate you just as well while providing many more nutrients.

No comments: