July 10, 2008

You Ask, I Answer: Calcium Supplements

I take a pill that [contains] 600 mg Calcium and 400 IU vitamin D.

I'm a 26 year old female. Is this a good decision?

-- Anonymous
Via the blog

If you find that your diet does not provide sufficient calcium, then supplementing it is certainly a good decision.

Having Vitamin D in the same pill as calcium is particularly smart, as this helps facilitate absorption.

However, 600 milligrams is too much for the body to absorb at once. I recommend a supplement containing no more than 500 milligrams.

Also, be sure to check your supplement’s bottle for the amount of “elemental calcium” – this tells you how much of the calcium in the supplement is “up for grabs.”

Some not-so-trustworthy companies advertise themselves as offering large amounts, but read the fine print and you'll see that each pill doesn't offer that much absorbable calcium.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi all! At the moment I'm taking between 500 and 600 milligrams of calcium supplements and I found a very reliable source on the Internet to buy them from. I was recommended by a friend to try out Goldshield who offer a range of calcium and iron supplements who I can class as trustworthy but what kind of effects will be expected from taking more than 500 milligrams of calcium?