July 6, 2008

You Ask, I Answer: Seltzer Water

I have a question regarding soda water and sparkling water: Is it as hydrating as regular water?

I've never been a fan of carbonated beverages until I started drinking sparkling water and soda water.

I work in a restaurant so it's usually soda water out of the bar gun, or occassionally San Pellegrino.

I drink water thoughout the day and was wondering if there are any negative effects to drinking 12-24 ounces of soda water each day.


-- Sue (last name withheld)

Seattle, WA

None whatsoever.

I don't see a single problem with enjoying up to 24 ounces of soda water each day.


Well, I suppose I could see it as a potentially problematic mealtime beverage for someone who is very much below their desirable body weight and might eat less food as a result of feeling bloated from the carbonation.

But, as far as everyone else is concerned, it's an A+ choice.

After all, it's calorie (and sugar) free and, for many people, provides the little kick they feel is missing from standard tap or bottled water.


I'm especially a fan of flavored seltzers, since they provide fizziness and fruity flavor without sugar or artificial sweeteners found in diet soft drinks (think aspartame, Splenda, and acefulsate potassium).


And, yes, seltzer is just as hydrating as still water. So, sip to your heart's content!

No comments: