July 15, 2008

You Ask, I Answer: Vital Cookies

I found this Canadian cookie company, and I have to say, I am completely addicted to their whole oat and cranberry cookies.

Two cookies (26 g, they're pretty small) [add up to] 120 calories, 5 g of fat (0.5 g saturated), 80 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrates with 2 g of fiber and 2 g of protein.


Are these cookies worth how excited I am over them, or are they just as terrible as other cookies?


-- Kate Redfern

(Location Unknown)


The exciting thing here isn't so much the figures you mention in your question (yes, you could potentially do worse, but this isn't precisely a health food), but the fact that you feel satisfied eating just two 60-calorie cookies!

The problem with cookies isn't that some varieties offer 500 calories in that same size (in this case, 26 grams, which is slightly less than one ounce,) it's the fact that people have a very hard time just having one... or two... or three... or six.

I must say -- it is quite refreshing to know that a 120 calorie package of cookies is available for sale. Figures it's not a product made in the US of A.

Anytime I walk into a deli in New York City and jonesing for a cookie I am faced with frisbee sized concoctions (closer to 100 grams!) that pack 400 - 500 calories a pop.

Keep in mind, I am not disappointed that these cookies aren't offering more nutrition. Nor do I think you should be seeking out "healthier cookies."

I don't think every single morsel of food we eat needs to be rich in phytoestrogens, high in fiber, and devoid of added sugars.

If these cookies are a treat in a mostly healthy and well-rounded diet, go ahead and enjoy them!

No comments: