November 27, 2007

In The News: Aspartame Is Safe (?)

A few weeks ago, it was announced that an exhaustive study involving ten universities and medical schools and epidemiological studies dating back to the 1970s deemed aspartame an entirely safe alternative sweetener.

Read the fine print carefully and you'll notice that said study was funded by Ajinoto Company, Inc. -- one of the world's leading producers of aspartame!

The critical thinker in me can't say with absolute certainty that this latest study fully convinces me of aspartame's safety.

Let me be clear. A healthy adult having Diet Coke a few times a week or a bowl of Fiber One every morning (which contains aspartame) does not concern me.

However, my personal jury is still out on aspartame consumption and children.

There may be three decades of research on aspartame consumption, but as far as I know, it all involves adults.

Even when healthy adults are involved, I would much rather someone consume small amounts of real sugar than wolf down sugar-free products made with aspartame.

1 comment:

MC said...

Thank you for all your work and research. Your blog - which I discovered yesterday - is a fantastic resource. I have a question. What about aspartame in chewing gum? More specifically in a gum like Eclipse? Should one stick to a limited number per day or can we chew to our heart's content?