June 9, 2007

All-Star of the Day: Subway (!)

Earlier this afternoon, I experienced hunger in the enemy’s territory – a shopping mall food court!

Although Coldstone beckoned me with the tempting aroma of freshly baked sweets, I remembered that a small serving of cake batter ice cream with an added brownie mix-in added up to 527 calories, 68% of my daily saturated fat limit, and 12 and a half teaspoons of added sugar.

I had a good workout earlier in the morning, and there was no way I was going to sabotage 60 minutes of hard work.

McDonald’s? In the (wise?) words of Whitney Houston – “hell to the no!”

My eyes then wandered to Subway’s yellow and green sign. Although I have never been a big fan of theirs (having had their sandwiches only once before), I recalled hearing about a new company initiative to offer healthy sides and options.

A sandwich was out of the question since I am vegetarian and find their cheese and vegetable sandwiches rather tasteless (and too high in sodium).

Upon walking in, a quick glance at the menu made me smile. I decided to order three sides: a small bag of sliced apples, a small box of raisins, and a 12 ounce bottle of 1% milk.

In other words, I was able to go to a fast-food chain and nourish myself with:

365 calories
3.5 grams fat (for my caloric intake, I should get approximately 80 grams)

2.5 grams saturated fat (everyone’s limit is set to 20 grams per day)
4 grams fiber
240 mg sodium (a mere 10% of the maximum allotment)
18 grams protein


Kudos to Subway for offering truly healthy choices. Hopefully, other food court staples will follow suit.

No comments: