June 20, 2007

You "Ask", I Answer: Forbidden Foods

Everything will cause disease in excess, even exercise and celery. The real problem is not what we eat, but how much stress we have.

I guarantee that far more heart problems are caused by stress than by having a few Klondike bars over the summer.

But of course, we can't ever address stress. That would get in the way of our capitalist goals of working constantly so we can buy SUVs and riding mowers. Nah, much better to create fake foods, diet fads and gym memberships and shame people into using those products.

Please stop contributing to this problem, and stop labeling foods as demonic. It's silly, and it's counter-productive to goals of better health.

-- Anonymous (not surprisingly)

The section "Angels and Devils" is simply a fun way to label posts that compare different brands of one given product in order to help people make wiser purchasing choices.

I am not labeling foods as 'angelic' and 'demonic' (I am not trying to be the next Dan Brown), but rather pointing out which ones are a better fit for a health-conscious consumer.

I have stated in several posts (as well as my newsletter) that foods should never be forbidden, nor should food groups be avoided.

That being said, I will not hesitate to recommend that somebody reach for a 100-calorie, saturated-fat-free Haagen Dazs Fat Free Raspberry & Vanilla Frozen Yogurt bar when they are in the mood for a sweet treat versus an artery clogging Klondike bar.

As you said, stress is a problem in our society. So, why aggravate those symptoms with food that raise our risk of heart attacks, artherosclerosis, high blood pressure, and obesity? A body that is fed healthy food will handle stress much better than one whose arteries are clogged due to excess consumption of saturated fats.

As far as "fake foods" and "diet fads" go, I have never condoned them. If you take the time to read my blog and newsletters, you will see I believe in a well-balanced diet rich in whole foods, not sugar-free, fat-free brownies made in a factory.

I have nothing against gym memberships, though. Heck, I have one myself! However, as I have said in the past, the important thing is to perform physical activity, which doesn't necessarily have to take place in the confines of a room full of treadmills and free weights.

Thanks for taking the time to write in!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think there's something to be said for moderation in everything that we do. One Big Mac isn't going to lead to an early death. A steady diet of them will, though, and that's what has got us in trouble as a country.