June 14, 2008

This Is The 21st Century, Right?

Not really a nutrition topic, but a food-related one I want to rant about.

Can Family Circle please retire the "potential First Lady cookie contest" they initially created in 1992 in response to Hillary Clinton's "I suppose I could have stayed home and baked cookies," quip to a reporter?

It was cute -- and culturally relevant -- at the time, but now the whole thing just reeks of "oh, you're savvy about foreign affairs? That's cute, now go into that kitchen and whip up some cookies."

Besides, you know some poor unpaid intern is coming up with these recipes.

In case you're interested, this year it's Cindy McCain's Oatmeal-Butterscotch cookies vs. Michelle Obama's Shortbread cookies.

I'm still waiting for our current president to cook up a solid economic plan.

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Thank you! I'm a Canadian, so maybe I should just shut up and watch. But I really find the whole first lady business so embarrassing, especially the part where they play a 1950s middle-class housewife.