June 3, 2008

You Ask, I Answer: Calorie Posting

Andy, I love to cook. I think I am speaking for most chefs and those that love to cook, we are not specifically thinking of calories when we create a dish!

Therefore, I must HEARTILY DISAGREE on your stance on the Food Network and other places that don't offer calorie counts.

I don't want, nor need, the government to step in and force laws on poor, creative chefs who are cooking dishes from their cultures and hearts.
Where is people's sense of self-responsibility?

I'm not an idiot. There are plenty of recipes that I've looked up on the Food Network site that I KNOW are going to be fattening.


I don't like the thought of government going so far as to overstep their boundaries in the guise of "protecting Americans from themselves!" You are going up a slippery slope indeed. Where does it all end? People have to be responsible for their own health and what they put in their mouths.

BTW, it's the FOOD Network, not the HEALTH Network.

Paula Deen is a Southern cook, Ina Garten is not tiny and neither is Guy! I don't watch any of them for low fat recipes, I have my Weight Watchers cook book for that.

I love watching Paula Deen and all the butter she puts in her recipes. I might use that recipe for a special occasion AS IS butter and all, I might try to make it lower in fat or I might just enjoy watching her make something so decadant!

Please, don't take the joy out of cooking with this idea of forcing calorie counts on everyone! Let common sense prevail!


-- Laura Lafata
Miami Beach, FL

It appears that the main point behind my video was misinterpreted.

I am not asking for any interference. I am not telling anyone at the Food Network to decrease butter in recipes butter or replace heavy cream with skim milk.

Similarly, I am not asking Paula Deen or Barefoot Contessa to "do their part" for health and wellness by offering lower-fat recipes.

All I am saying is, “cook whatever and however you want, but inform people of caloric content.”

I do not want heart disease warnings alongside recipes, nor do I want television chefs to follow guidelines like “include at least one whole grain in every dish."

Each chef is master of their culinary domain, and they should exercise complete freedom in their kitchen.

Deep fry a stick of butter for all I care, just let people know how many calories there are in it.

Laura, it appears you are a health conscious person. Therefore, I have no doubt you are good at spotting high-calorie dishes and knowing what constitutes a "splurge."

Not everyone has that knowledge, though.

I can’t tell you how many times, when giving a nutrition workshop, I have had people ask me what the word “calories” on a food label means.

There I was talking about the benefits of whole grains and someone asks me what number they should pay more attention to -- calories or protein. Eek!

I have taught several workshops on making smarter choices at fast food restaurants.

Whenever I do one of these, I ask attendants to guess the number of calories in a large Big Mac meal.

The average response is says 800 calories -- 640 fewer calories than the correct answer!

It is very easy for people who are informed about nutrition to think the rest of the world is.

Guess what? As th above examples show, many people are completely in the dark -- even those who think they aren't!

This is why, as a future dietitian, I find the posting of calories to be helpful. A lot of people I have spoken to were surprised to find out that a low-fat muffin at Starbucks contains a mere 40 calories less than a full-fat one, for instance.

Posting calorie information does not take away personal choice. It simply allows consumers to make more informed decisions.

On another note, it saddens me that many chefs scoff at the idea of “healthy cooking” or making meatless dishes.

Many of this country's most famous chefs erroneously think there is no such thing as "vegan cuisine," and that asking for a sauce on the side ranks up there with double homicide.

I have shared many highly nutritious delicious recipes on this blog that even the unhealthiest of eaters have loved. It's the least I can do to dispel the myth that healthy eating consists of steamed carrots sprayed with PAM.

I do not expect Paula Deen to start counting calories, but why not provide that information for people looking to lose weight who would never even consider that one of her “individual” chicken pot pies packs in almost a day’s worth of calories?

Armed with this information, viewers can make a variety of choices -- have the recipe "as is," save the potpies for special occassions (rather than twice a week), make smaller potpies (thereby reducing calories), or find creative ways to cut down on calories by toying around with ingredients.

Healthy eating is obviously an uphill climb for many; why not give them a little boost?

3 comments:

La Diva Laura said...

Andy, thanks for the interesting discourse.

Since I am currently dieting right now, I can honestly say it IS cumbersome to take a recipe apart calorically. I don't know why they don't do it on the Food Network, perhaps its too time consuming and too much money and maybe even a fear of lawsuits for misrepresentation should there be any discrepancies? And, there are several shows that promote healthy, low fat cooking. (Ellie Krieger for example)

Also, if you look at the Top 10 recipes searched on the Food Network's site today, two are for bbq ribs, one for chicken wings and one for burgers!!! That's what THE PEOPLE are searching for!

Andy, I wish we lived in the same town, I'd love to take one of your classes as I feel I can always learn more. I think a lot of the problem is the laziness of people in that they want someone else to do the thinking and the hard work for them. Oh, that chocolate cake was really 1200 calories and the sign said it was listed it as 600? C'mon now. The only thing I trust is what I make myself and even then it's all just "guidelines!" If people are REALLY interested in health an diet, they have to make an effort to learn more about what they are eating, it doesn't take a dietician or genius to know if it's cake it's going to be fattening!!!

With the Internet, books, shows, magazines on the subject of health and diet, I know there is a LOT of information out there to guage how many calories are in what. All it takes is a little time on the web to discover myriad sites on calories in restaurant meals and processed foods. Once again, I have to stress, people have to take responsibility for themselves and their weight.

BTW, I cook vegan too! I recently made chili with soy crumbles and then tested it on my big, meat-eating husband. He loved it, was satisfied and didn't know the difference.

From MY perspective, I think the "backlash" from certain chefs comes from some vegetarians and some of those with strict dietary needs that spoil it for others by trying to force their requirements on others. My vegan friends are most militant and expect to be catered to instead of being polite. If I was the only meat eater at a vegan picnic, I would not expect them to make meat just for me...yet the vegetarians I know expect to be treated special. It's annoying and rude. Most people who are dieting or have special needs should "go with the flow," bring their own food or politely decline instead of putting stress on the host/hostess to prepare something just for them.

I don't know about chefs "scoffing" at "healthy cooking" but perhaps feel like I do about feeling like they are under the scrutiny of the FOOD POLICE!!! There is food for dieting and food for special occasions, people need to learn the difference.

If you ever want to do a class in Miami, let me know, I'd love to help you with your aim at educating people on good health and nutrition!!!

Andy Bellatti said...

Laura,

What a wonderfully thought out response!

I would love to fly down to Miami and teach a workshop or two -- who knows, it just might happen in the near future.

Part of the problem is that a lot of the discussion about healthy eating and "dieting" completely leaves calories out of the equation.

People see things like "no trans fat," "low carb," "low fat," "no added sugar" and forget that these products all have calories.

It's very simple -- the low-carb variations pump more fat (to make up for lost sugar) and the low-fat variations throw in more sugar (to make up for lost fat, which is necessary for taste)... in the end, these products are usually now THAT low in calories (witness the Starbucks low-fat muffins that offer just 40 fewer calories than full-fat ones).

Also, there is a major case of portion distortion taking place. I don't think many people realize that just the wrap in a Chipotle burrito contributes 600 calories (it's equivalent to eating 6 slices of bread).

La Diva Laura said...

Yes, you are right about the portions. I struggle with it all the time. Thanks Andy, I really enjoy your comments and blog! (even though we don't always agree!)