October 27, 2008

You Ask, I Answer/Quick & Easy Recipes: Vegan Alfredo Sauce

I became vegan about two months ago.

I don't really miss many things since I find perfectly tasty substitutes, but yesterday night I found myself craving alfredo sauce (maybe it's the cold weather).


Since I have seen some vegan recipes on the blog, I wondered if you had any ideas as to how I can have alfredo sauce without dairy?


-- Shannon Gibson
St. Paul, MN


You've come to the right place, Shannon!

Although I am not vegan, I enjoy vegan cooking -- it is creative, healthy, and always offers a new experience for the tastebuds.

After several experiments, I crafted a vegan alfredo sauce I have been enjoying for approximately two years.

YIELDS: 6 servings (1 serving: 1/2 cup)

INGREDIENTS

3/4 cup raw cashews
1 cup water
4 garlic cloves
2 Tablespoons lemon juice (freshly squeezed preferred)
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS

Place cashews in food processor. Pulse for 20 - 30 seconds.

Add water and pulse until cashews and water are evenly mixed.

Combine rest of ingredients in food processor until blended.

NUTRITION INFORMATION (per serving)

150 calories
1.5 grams saturated fat
380 milligrams sodium
4 grams fiber
8.5 grams protein

Good source of: B vitamins (including B12!), magnesium, copper, phosphorus, manganese, potassium, iron

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andy,

For me, nutritional yeast is hard to find. So many vegan recipes that imitate cheese/dairy require it, though. While we're on the topic of vegan cooking...do you know a good substitute for nutritional yeast, ruling out those soy cheese products? They are expensive and seem pretty junky.

Andy Bellatti said...

Christine,

Nutritional yeast has such a distinct flavor that it is hard to find a substitute.

Best bet is to order it online, really.