August 21, 2008

In The News: Michael Phelps & Tony The Tiger Make It Official

So Michael Phelps (perhaps you've heard of him?) has apparently angered a few nutritionists for agreeing to appear on boxes of Kellogg's Frosted Flakes cereal.

Really? I can't believe some people in the nutrition field are up in arms over this when there are more serious issues worth devoting time to.

How about stepping back a little and loosening up? It's not as if he's the face of Burger King or Ben & Jerry's.

No, Frosted Flakes are not a nutrition powerhouse, but the recently launched lower sugar variety only delivers 120 calories and 8 grams (2 teaspoons) of added sugar in a 1 cup serving. It's not THAT horrible -- and certainly not the culprit of obesity.

A cup of Frosted Flakes as part of a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains is no reason to hit the panic button.

The most ironic part of this whole "controversy" is that "health experts [are] worried about the message he'll be sending to children across America."

How so? Isn't his main message all about exercising and being in shape?

This is a man who achieved fame by being the fastest swimmer at the Olympics. His career is all about burning calories!

I find the mental junk food provided by any given episode of The Hills to be much more worrisome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I thought the whole "controversy" was bogus too, but I'm not in the nutrition field so I didn't know if I was off base or not. I'm glad I read this post!