August 11, 2008

The Numbers Speak for Themselves

Kraft's latest snack product is Mac 'n Cheese baked crackers available in three varieties: cheddar, mild cheedar, and white cheddar.

"Made with real cheddar cheese!" the boxes proudly display.

Let's get down to the facts.

150: the calories in a 1-ounce serving. This is the exact same caloric content of an ounce of Lay's potato chips or Cheetos.

300: the milligrams of sodium in a 1-ounce serving of the cheddar flavor. This is almost twice as much as the same amount of Lay's potato chips and 10 more milligrams than 1 ounce of Cheetos.

380: the milligrams of sodium contained in a 1-ounce serving of the white cheddar flavor.

35: the number of ingredients that make up the cheddar and white cheddar flavors.

Swap: 1 ounce of whole grain crackers and one stick of string cheese pretty much delivers the same calories with more substantial nutrition.

1 comment:

Norma said...

I would substitute a thin slice of cheddar on a soda cracker, but even then, I'd be better off not to eat it at all. At home (I'm on vacation) I have my husband hide the crackers, and I avoid buying cheese.