August 13, 2008

You Ask, I Answer: Weight Loss & Support

When the year started, I was at my highest weight ever [25 pounds overweight.]

I tried to diet as a New Year's resolution, but it was really strict, almost no carbs except for salad vegetables, and it was hard to keep up. I was eating about 950 calories a day, it was so hard.

A few months later I tried again, but healthier.

Since May I have lost 18 pounds and I'm really happy. I'm mainly doing it by watching portions of a lot of foods I like, so I don't feel deprived of anything. I'm eating about 1,700 calories a day and I also go to the gym a few times a week.


What is hard now is that I feel I am not getting much support from my boyfriend and my friends.

Over the past month, my boyfriend has been buying me lots of sweets and chocolates, which I don't like to have in my house because it's hard for me to watch my portions.

I met him about two weeks before I started dieting (May 2nd) and lately it's as if he wants me to gain weight again. It's weird.


Some of my friends also comment on what I eat when I am at restaurants, too. Like if I choose to eat a salad as an appetizer and then an appetizer for my entree there are two friends of mine who will always be on my case about how I'm probably starving or something.

I don't know if you answer these sorts of questions, but what should I do about this?

-- Natalie (last name withheld)
(city withheld), VT

Natalie -- and everyone else interested in this question -- please watch the latest video on the Small Bites YouTube channel (also embedded below):

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

VERY COOL!!!

just found your site...

Off to explore.


Miz.

Anonymous said...

Great answer! I have the same exact problem...no support from friends or the boyfriend. Way to go Natalie, keep up the good work. Wish we lived in the same City so we could work out together and support each other.

Anonymous said...

Great advice, Andy! This is actually quite common. People often feel threatened when their spouse or boyfriend/girlfriend starts losing weight. They’re worried that the person will leave them once they lose weight and start to look better. If someone (friend, boyfriend, etc.) is sabotaging your goals and your health—move on!