February 7, 2009

Quick & Healthy Recipe: No-Bake Brownie Truffle Bites

I can't think of an easier, quicker recipe.

My favorite part of serving these is telling people the rich dessert they are enjoying takes no more than five minutes to prepare!

Added bonus: each bite is a good source of vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients!

YIELDS: 12 bites/balls

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
5 tablespoons cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder (pictured at left)
2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

OPTIONAL ADD-ONS:

1 1/2 tablespoons ground flaxseed/oat bran/wheat germ
1 1/2 teaspoons coconut extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon

INSTRUCTIONS:

Grind walnuts in food processor.

Add raisins and blend.

Add remaining ingredients and process again.

Scoop out mixture, in the shape of small truffle-like balls, onto baking sheet.

Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Enjoy!

NUTRITION INFORMATION (for 3 "bites" without add-ons):

205 calories
3 grams saturated fat
5 grams fiber
5 grams protein

Excellent source of: copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium

Good source of: fiber, folate, monounsaturated fat, thiamin, vitamin B6, vitamin C

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

and it's vegan! oh, how i love your recipes.

Lizzy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I made these and they are DELICIOUS! I add 2 T honey to a double batch, as the dark cocoa I used made them a tiny bit bitter for my taste. I rolled half of them in toasted coconut and the other half in organic sugar (I know, I know). I have been having two of these after dinner every night for over a week and it's just enough of a tasty treat that I don't want anything else. Next time I'm going to try making them with dates instead of raising and omitting the honey. Thanks Andy!

Rachelle

Anonymous said...

Hi.

I didn't have the exact stuff your recipe called for--

I subbed pecans for walnuts and quick oats instead of coconut. I only had golden raisins so I used them instead of the dark.

We haven't actually refrigerated them for 2 hours, but the kids pronounced them really good and hubby said they were good too and suggested I get a bulk box of the dark raisins. :)

I love how fast they are and that there's no 'junk' in them at all. Very cool.

The version I made doesn't taste *exactly* like a brownie, but they have the mouth feel of a very gooey brownie and a nice dark chocolate flavor. I'm going to look for unsweetened coconut at the market. :)

shris