October 21, 2007

You Ask, I Answer: Exercise

I'm hoping you can clear this up. A few days ago I read in a magazine that when you exercise [you] increase the amount of free radicals in your body. Aren't free radicals bad?

I thought the idea behind eating fruits and vegetables was because they have antioxidants, which keep free radicals down?

I exercise about five times a week. Should I be taking extra antioxidants?


-- Brandon Fentino

Wooster, MA

I can see why you'd be confused.

Yes, exercise -- since it increases our body's oxygen utilization rate -- results in an increase of free radicals.

And, yes, you are correct that the recommendations surrounding antioxidants and their consumption are linked to their ability to weaken DNA-damaging free radicals (which, in turn, are linked to the development of a number of diseases and inflammatory conditions).

So, what gives?

Consider exercise your body's "antioxidant boot camp." Exercise trains the body's defense systems, helping it become more adept at battling harmful free radicals.

That being said, overtraining -- for example, working out two hours a day, seven days a week, can do more harm than good.

Vitamins C and E are antioxidants, so you want to always make sure you are getting the required amounts of these two specific nutrients each day.

I wouldn't recommend "extra" amounts, though, since clinical studies have shown that in very high amounts, these two free-radical fighters end up switching to the dark side and becoming PRO-oxidants!

No comments: