January 28, 2008

The King of Junk

Behold one of the newest dessert offerings at Burger King -- the Sundae Shake (because ordering one or the other is no longer sufficient?)

The lack of a large size initially struck me as a socially conscious move from the fast food chain.

I quickly crashed back to Earth when I glanced at the nutrition figures and realized the small and medium sizes already inflict plenty of damage.

Order a small and slurp down 680 calories, 15 grams (75% of a day's worth) of saturated fat, 480 milligrams of sodium (slightly more than what a small side of their fries offers), and 95 grams (almost 24 teaspoons) of added sugar.

Ask for a medium and you'll be getting 960 calories, 20 grams (an entire day's worth) of saturated fat, 720 milligrams of sodium (almost as much as an order of large fries), and 138 grams (34.5 teaspoons) of added sugar.

The syrup alone adds 27 grams and 47 grams of sugar to the small and medium sizes, respectively.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!! I almost ordered one the other day. (Don't ask me what I was doing at a Burger King)