January 25, 2008

You Ask, I Answer: Food Storage and Plastic

I have a question about food preservation.

I've been trying to cut down on the amount of plastic storage I use, but since I like to make my own stocks and soups and stews from scratch, I do a lot of freezing.

Is storing frozen food in plastic as bad as storing refrigerated or room temperature food in plastic?

I also freeze vegetables when they are fresh and plentiful, and I don't know any other way to save corn on the cob except in plastic bags. I'd have to take out a second mortgage to buy enough Pyrex storage containers...

-- Jennifer Armstrong
Saratoga Springs, NY

The often-mentioned problem with storing food in plastic containers comes up when microwaving, not freezing.

Microwaving food in a plastic container leads to some potentially toxic substances leaking into your meal, particularly if it is liquidy and/or high in fat.

I am sure you have seen “microwave safe” plastic containers in stores.

These have been tested by the Food & Drug Administration and have met certain chemical requirements rendering them non-toxic.

Many people, though, are still wary of using them.

While microwaving leftovers in a non microwave-safe container is absolutely not recommended, doing so in “authorized” containers is up to you and your comfort level.

Number three plastics (vinyl/PVC) are definitely ones to avoid when it comes to any type of food storage.

They are also environmental disasters, as they can not be recycled and end up taking space in landfills.

If you’re looking for a safer plastic option, I suggest Ziploc Freezer Guard bags. They are made of number four plastic, which, from a health standpoint, does not appear to be problematic.

If you are looking for plastic alternatives, though, try non-porous materials like glass or stainless steel. For freezing purposes, be sure to get glass containers that are freezer-safe to prevent cracking or shattering.

No comments: