January 5, 2008

You Ask, I Answer: Late Night Snacking

The only real issue I have with dieting is stopping late-night snacking.

I tend to snack on toast and butter, or olive oil and garlic, or cottage cheese... anything creamy, crunchy, and warm.
I will usually have 2 or 3 snacks after dinner.

They are cravings I am having a hard time dealing with. I am sure I could lose weight if I simply eliminated these cravings.

I am trying to see what triggers this and the only thing I can figure out so far is that my bedroom seems to be set up for everything, not exclusively sleep. I will eat at 6:30 or 7 pm and tell myself, "this is my last meal," but it never works.

I have small snacks starting at 9 pm, which continue until around 11 pm. Each small snack delivers a powerful oily punch to my calorie count!


What do you think?


-- Marta (last name withheld)
Miami, FL

Snacking is a very sharp double-edged sword.

On the one hand, many people find it helpful to gnosh on something small in between meals to prevent hunger attacks that result in high-calorie binges.

Snacking also adds calories to your day, though.

Hence, one of the many weight management debates is, "Is snacking an effective tool?"

I personally vote a resounding "yes." While research and studies are a great way to support theories, I don't need to read a journal to come to this conclusion; I simply base it on personal experience.

An 8 AM breakfast followed by a 10:30 AM snack leaves me perfectly satisfied until a 1 PM lunch. Leave out that mid-morning snack, though, and I am famished by lunch. Result? I not only eat more, but also crave greasier, unhealthier foods.

I don't think your issue, Marta, is late-night snacking itself, but the types of after-dinner snacks you are enjoying.

Toast and butter (or olive oil) can be very high in calories and do not help you feel as satiated as other options.

A cup of non-fat Greek yogurt is a great snack. Despite being fat-free, it has a surprisingly creamy texture that will trick you into thinking you are eating a much more decadent snack.

Sprinkle some ground flaxseed on top and I guarantee it will very likely be the only snack you have before going to bed.

Creaminess in a low-calorie package can also be achieved by topping fruits with two tablespoons (only 30 calories' worth!) of Cool Whip Lite.

If it is crunch you are seeking, I recommend investing in a hot air popcorn popper. Each cup of popped kernels registers at a mere 31 calories!

So, two cups of popcorn accompanied by a cup of strawberries adds up to only 100 calories and delivers 5 grams of satisfying fiber.

Baby carrots are great for dipping -- especially in savory hummus. One ounce of corn chips (about 12 of them) add up to 140 calories. Meanwhile, a cup of baby carrots only contributes 52 calories!

Also, if you are up until 11 PM, I would recommend having dinner a little later than 6:30. It is not at all surprising that you would feel hungry four hours after finishing dinner!

No comments: