March 7, 2008

In The News: Airborne Pays Up

Last November I blogged about Airborne, a popular over-the-counter product that claims to prevent -- and shorten -- colds.

My conclusion? Washing your hands with soap several times a day is much more effective.

A few years after Airborne's launch in 1999, the hype was everywhere.

"The cold cure" -- and its owner -- was even featured on Oprah as a revolutionary "must have" product for the winter season!

Before I studied nutrition, I also fell for the promises.

I remember walking to a drugstore a few blocks away from my apartment, browsing the cold and flu aisle, sneezing every six seconds and feeling miserable.

What did I reach for? Airborne.

The only thing I can say with certainty is that it was successful at emptying my bladder several times that day. My cold lasted just as long as all previous ones.

Apparently I wasn't the only unsatisfied customer -- Airborne is paying $23.3 million in refunds to consumers as a result of a 2006 false advertising class-action lawsuit.

If you have bought certain Airborne products between May 1, 2001, and November 29, 2007, you are eligible to file a claim.

No comments: