March 7, 2008

You Ask, I Answer: Seeds of Change Frozen Meals

What do you think of the nutritional profile of the Seeds of Change frozen meals?

I'm vegetarian, and haven't been crazy about the Kashi vegetarian choices.


Seeds of Change look awesome to me - reasonable calories, high protein and fiber - all vegetarian, and REALLY tasty, but I could be missing some things!

-- Daphne
Via the blog

I've never tried these frozen meals, so while I can't account for taste, I can speak about their nutritional profile.

From a caloric standpoint, they are great.

I also appreciate the fact that the ingredients are real food, as opposed to artificial Franken-creations.

My main concerns involve sodium and fiber levels.


Some of these meals contain 770 milligrams of sodium -- about a third of a day's worth.

While not surprising (frozen foods are often high in sodium), it is still a relatively high value.

When it comes to fiber, a lot of the frozen entrees contribute 4 grams, a rather small amount, considering recommendations call for 25 - 35 grams a day.

I strongly suggest aiming for 8 to 10 grams of fiber per meal.

My verdict?

All the Seeds of Change frozen entrees are helpful for those watching calories, but to get the most nutrition, choose varieties containing 8 or more grams of fiber and 600 or less milligrams of sodium.

No comments: