March 11, 2008

You Ask, I Answer: Fiber

I've recently been drinking Naked Juice because I love the taste of it.

I know full well (from my last question) that it isn't a replacement for healthy eating, so I still try to round out my diet.


However, fiber seems like something I still probably am not getting enough of, and I would love to add, like, 10 grams a day mixed into my juice.


Do you know if any of those pure "green" juices include fiber?


If not, do you know of any powdered fiber supplement that isn't marketed as a laxative?

I know it shouldn't stop me, but as a healthy 21 year-old, I can't bring myself to go buy Metamucil.


Until I can afford to drop $500 on a crazy blender that blends whole fruits, I'm hoping adding some powdered fiber to a juice will help.


-- Andrew Carney

Richland, WA

I'm assuming your desire to add ten grams of fiber is based on some sort of calculation (i.e.: you are 10 grams below your recommended intake).

The "problem" I have with your question is that you're essentially trying to find a pint of ice cream in the oven.

Allow me to explain.

If your goal is to increase fiber consumption, skip the powders and liquids and go for a much tastier -- and plentiful -- source: food.

I personally don't understand the decision behind taking Metamucil as a fiber supplement.

It has an unpleasant taste and texture, doesn't offer more fiber than food (one serving offers 3 grams, the same in 6 whole grain Triscuit crackers,) and doesn't provide the naturally-occurring nutrients and phytochemicals in fiber-rich foods.

So, if 10 grams is what you seek, enjoy your juices as they are and consider the following instead:

Snack on one Gnu Flavor & Fiber, Lara, Pure, or Clif Nectar bar every day.

Add a half cup of legumes (chickepas, kidney beans, lentils) to a meal. Some easy options? Heat up some lentil soup or add legumes to a salad, wrap, or burrito.

Complement your breakfast with a cup of whole grain cereal or two slices of whole (or sprouted) grain toast. For an extra fiber boost, start off your morning with fruit as well (a medium banana provides 3 grams of fiber).

If you're making smoothies at home, add two tablespoons of ground flaxseed. You'll get Omega-3 fatty acids, lignans, and 4 grams of fiber in a 70 calorie package.

Like pasta? Next time you make some, mix a regular variety with a whole wheat one.
A cup of cooked whole wheat pasta packs in 5 grams.

By all means, try to get your fiber from food first.

There's no reason why anyone -- young or old -- should be spending money on fiber supplements.

No comments: