March 13, 2008

Numbers Game: Answer

A regular Quizno's tuna melt sub sandwich adds up to 1,420 calories, 21 grams of saturated fat, and 1,535 milligrams of sodium.

(NOTE: Saturated fat consumption should not exceed 20 grams per day, and the maximum daily sodium limit is set at 2,400 milligrams)

This is precisely why calorie information should be available to all customers on menu boards.

When I think "regular tuna melt sub" at a fast food chain, I might think, oh, I don't know, 900 calories, 8 grams of saturated fat, and 1,000 or so milligrams of sodium.

I guess I'm a "see the glass as half full" type of guy.

The above factoid precisely backs up why I certainly want to know, prior to ordering, while I am standing in that line, that the sandwich I'm planning on getting provides three quarters of a day's worth of calories and a whole day's worth of saturated fat for lunch!

The last thing I want to hear is, "Well, you're at [insert name of establishment here], what do you expect?"

Certainly not 1,420 calories -- and 21 grams of saturated fat -- in a "regular" sandwich.

We're not talking about an extra large fried chicken and bacon platter.


By the way, Quizno's actually offers plenty of lower-calorie sandwiches.

It's certainly possible to eat a sandwich there if you are watching your weight.

However, in order to make an informed decision, customers need to know caloric information.

In case you are wondering: a large tuna melt contains 2,090 calories and 31 grams of saturated fat. That's equivalent to almost 4 Big Macs.

No comments: