November 8, 2008

You Ask, I Answer: Baguette Portion Sizes

Do you know what a 2 ounce slice of baguette looks like?

Panera Bread Company lists its whole-grain, artisan baguette at 130 calories for 2 ounces.

Not carrying my kitchen scale around town with me makes this less helpful than they might imagine.

-- Elizabeth (last name withheld)
(City unknown), MI

I love this question, because it shows just how hard it can be to estimate portion sizes when they don't match our standard frame of reference (in this case, that would be sliced bread.)

The best way to gauge baguette portion sizes is by keeping in mind that your average whole baguette clocks in at somewhere between 8 and 9 ounces.

So, simply eyeball your baguette portion.

If it would take approximately four identical pieces to make a whole baguette, then you have roughly two ounces in front of you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really late to comment on this, but I just thought I would let you know that I work at Panera, and we cut each baguette into 6 portions, as equal as possible.

Andy Bellatti said...

Thanks for your comment, Laura!

Since I trust Panera's nutritional information (listing each baguette serving at 2 ounces), I am assuming each baguette is slightly larger than standard and weighs in at 12 ounces (thus resulting in six 2-ounce slices).