November 25, 2008

You Ask, I Answer: Ice Milk

Have you heard of, or know much about, ice milk?

I think Weight Watchers promotes it.


-- Katie P.
(Location unknown)


Ice milk is the outdated term for what we now call "low fat ice cream."

The name change occurred as a result of new FDA labeling laws in 1994.

Four years later, milk underwent similar changes, with 2% officially changing its name to "reduced-fat" and 1% being renamed "low-fat."

I don't understand why Weight Watchers would specifically suggest participants seek out ice milk, since that term is literally extinct.

2 comments:

kb said...

Thanks for answering this question! My husband and I both remember our fat conscious parents buying ice milk in the early 1980s.

Sasha said...

Not all ice "milk" comes from the supermarket. Recipes have traditionally and still use the term.